• NYC Board of Health Decides not to lift ferret ban. Several pages updated throughout the site.
• Removed broken links from Links page
• Board of Health meeting to decide legalization of ferrets in NYC is scheduled for March 10th 2015
• Yonkers Ferret Shelter Looking For Experienced Volunteers
• Added more information about the December 2014 Board of Health Meeting, and the January 2015 Public Hearing.
• On January 21st 2015, a public hearing was held on the subject of legalizing ferrets in New York City. Read more
• Updates and link fixes on How the Ban Started page.
• Updated the Banned Animal List - Not many changes from the original list. A few extra animals, and some additional information for things like beekeeping.
• ASPCA and NY Humane Society testimony from the 1999 DOH Hearing - in favor of removing ferrets from the list of banned animals, added to the Downloads page.
• Minor changes to Ferret Ban FAQs (Fixed a few typos.)
• Updated Ferret Ban FAQs
• Updated About NYCFerrets.com page.
• Added a gray background graphic, with the word "ARCHIVE" to all older pages on the site. Current/updated pages should now have white backgrounds, and older or not yet updated pages, should now all have gray "ARCHIVE" backgrounds. * If you've been to NYCFerrets.Com before, you may need to clear your browser's cache for the new background changes to take effect.
• Added a new Downloads page with link to PDF of Californians For Ferret Legalization's 355 page Ferret Legalization in California Booklet.
• Updated Current News
• Updated Front page of site
• Added new page about the Ferret Club of New York City's 2014 Legalization Efforts.
• Removed outdated links from Navigation Menu.
• Gradually updating some fonts/styles/links/info throughout site.
"Join E-mail List" page and associated files. The e-mail list
is now closed. All current members of the list should have received a
• Removed "Submit your Vet" and "Submit your Local Pet
Store" forms. Those lists are no longer being maintained.
• Removed Contact Information. The former e-mail address and PO box for
this site are now closed.
• Went through entire site and fixed some typos and outdated links.
links to fundraising products (T-shirts, tote bags etc.)
link on "Ferret Meetup" page.
• Removed links to "How you can help", "Donations",
and "Fundraising" pages from the main navigation bar since there
are no current legalization efforts and we don't need additional funds
at this time. Remaining fundraising products (T-shirts, tote bags etc.)
will be removed after the holidays.
• Added notices about this site now being primarily for archival purposes
to the "E-mail List", "About NYCFerrets.Com" and "Contact
• Added notice to the "Contact Us" page that email sent to this
site will now only be checked once a month.
• Changed and updated "Legalization Efforts" pages to "Past
• Updated links to City Council Website
||• Added Lori
Malizia to "Thank You"s -Long overdue!
• Fixed some outdated info.
"Under Construction" notices.
• Added script to randomize "Ferret Facts" on main page.
new NYCFerrets.Com title logo and corner graphic
||• Moved NYCFerrets.Com
to a new web host.
• Uploaded "Under Construction" page at previous hosting space.
• Posted "Under Construction" notice for our email address on contact us page until web host
move is complete.
• Removed outdated material from the Current
• Updated sample list of iGive shops.
Who To Write page.
||• Added information
about NYC Council Member candidates for 11/4/03 elections
• Added Ferret Meetup information
to the "current news" page
• Added information
on New York City Ferret Meetups
• Deleted or updated links that were no longer working including but not
Ferrettoons CafePress shops are closed.
links: Site is gone.
- Some Californians
for Ferret Legalization links: Site is currently under construction.
Ban License Plate Frame link: Item is no longer available.
iGive listing (at iGive site) to "NYCFerrets.Com (c/o Melissa Blake)"
to enable us to cash checks issued by them. It's a clumsy way to list "NYCFerrets.Com"
but it's the only way iGive will include a human name on the check for check
||• Added information
to the ferret vaccinations page
||• Minor updates
throughout the site
some Council Member addresses on the Who
To Write page.
Rabies vaccinations for ferrets are the law in New York State
donates calendars for each NYC Council Member
• California requests YOUR help! (Links
to additional information were added later in the day)
• Added 2 more CA info links to links page
• Added The Ferret Store to list of iGive
• Updated Council Member Addresses on Who
To Write page
||• A problem
with submitting forms (for joining the email lists and for submitting vets
and pet stores) has been fixed.
||• Added information
about "legalization packet" project to legalization
• Removed the words "Limited Edition" from License Plate Frame
information since it will now be available all year round.
• Added information about raising money for ferret
legalization efforts in NYC while shopping during the holiday season.
• Updated general information throughout the site
• Added "hover" effects for links.
links to NYPIRG's Council Finder on the "Legalization Efforts"
and "Join our email list" pages.
||• Added L.I.F.E
Fact Sheet on Ferret vs Dog bites.
||• Added a
page to address commonly asked
questions and misconceptions about the relationship between the Domesticated
Ferret and the Black Footed Ferret.
||• Added a
brief update on legalization efforts.
• LIMITED EDITION "Fight the Ban" license plate available.
• Re-formatted and updated the fundraising "Buy
products to raise awareness and money for Ferret Legalization efforts
in NYC" pages.
• Added links to the Site Map for older information
re: Kathryn Freed's previous ferret bill, including information on how
prior Council Members voted. The pages were there before but the links
seemed to have been omitted from the Site Map page.
• Updated Who To Write page with
more current contact info for Council Members
• Updated several links throughout the site
the voice mail number from the Contact Us page.
We think you should know why we no longer have a voicemail number. Onebox
built its successful business by advertising free voicemail service forever.
They stated that no matter what paid services were offered, there would
always be a free basic service available as well. Now that their business
has taken off, they are discarding all the people who helped their company
grow by going back on that promise and no longer offering a free basic service
of any kind. We understand that many companies offer free services
and later add fees. But no other company has ever gone to the lengths that
Onebox did to falsely promise and assure their clients that they could depend
on there always being a free basic service no matter what. We encourage
everybody to think twice about how Onebox treats its customers before using
any of their services in the future.
Council Member Jennings' address on the Who
To Write page.
Miller (who voted in favor of legalizing ferrets) is the New Speaker for the City Council!
• Updated holiday
related material throughout the site.
• Added some code to hopefully make the website more "Search Engine
||• Since the
number one purpose of this site has always been to provide accurate up to
date information to NYC Ferret owners about the NYC ferret ban, we've finally
moved NYCFerrets.Com to a new, more reliable webhosting company. In short,
what that means is that the website should work better from now on! AOL
(where the site was before) was giving too many "error", "please
reload", and "server busy" messages which made it very difficult
for people to access the website on a consistent basis. Now that we've moved
to a new provider (same address though "www.NYCFerrets.Com")
the site should be relatively hassle free and more accessible to more users
on a more consistent basis.
• A re-direct page has been put up at the old AOL address with a form for
people to let us know how they arrived at the old address. Hopefully this
will help us update everybody who isn't using the "www.NYCFerrets.Com"
• New email address added.
• A few minor changes were made as a result of moving the site (Moving the
Counter to the main page, splitting the "join our email list"
info into 2 pages etc.) but everything else should look the same.
||• Added "A
website visitor reported that Mr. Vallone Jr. is "Pro Ferret""
to Who To Write page.
||• Added more
information about iGive to the fundraising
• Fixed the link to iGive so we can now earn $1 for each person who makes
a purchase through an iGive link within 45 days of joining.
• Fixed a few "typos" throughout.
the stores and businesses that have supported our NYC Ferret legalization
efforts when you do your holiday shopping!
your 2002 Council Member a quick note or card over the holidays!
• Added addresses for 2002 Politicians
to Who To Write page
• Added iGive link to Fundraising
page, as well as information about "cookies".
• Added a few rollover scripts throughout the site (it's a programming
thing that makes some words light up when your mouse is on top of them
if you have a newer browser)
• Removed and/or updated outdated Election Information
• Added one more "find out who your Council Member is" link
to our "Join our Email List"
page since people still seem to be missing that information! :)
• Added endorsement
for Mark Green as Mayor to the Candidates page.
a copy of Gary Kaskel's "Friends of Ferrets" email endorsing
Mark Green to the Candidates page.
||• Added a
couple of paragraphs to Candidates page re: neither choice for Mayor
looking particularly promising without further information.
NYC Election and candidate information throughout the site and removed
• Added reminder to "Current News" page to VOTE for "ferret
friendly" candidates on November 6th.
• Removed "We've changed the look of our website" info from
"Current News" page.
• Added "Fundraising" as a separate link in the Navigation Menu.
• Added background color to Navigation Menu.
• Added a different "Ferret Fact" to the main page.
• Updated Site Map.
• Fixed some minor typographical errors throughout the site.
||• Added ferret
friendly candidates for districts 6 and 51 based on information provided
by visitors to the website.
||• Added shorter
opening page with "ferret fact" and link to "Current News"
so site will load faster.
• Big HUGE
overhaul of the website.
• New look -It's about time don't you think?
• New URL: www.NYCFerrets.Com
• All the "old" info is still here but may have moved around
a bit. To help you find files more easily we've added a "Site
• Added "About NYCFerrets.Com"
• Added a hotline number and combined that with our email and address
info into "Contact Us"
• Changed the format of our email list
and split it into 2 lists
• Added information about Candidates and upcoming NYC elections
• Added "Ferret Ban FAQs"
• Added a section to "Learn
More About Ferrets" with some new and some old more familiar
• Added information on how you can save money on shipping if you buy
BOTH a "Kathryn Freed" AND "NYCFerrets fundraising"
||• Buy a
T-shirt and help support Kathryn Freed's campaign for NYC Public Advocate!
a T-shirt and help raise money for NYC Ferrets!
ferrets will not be legalized this time around...
City Council has until June 20th to override the Mayor's veto, if
they choose to.
• Help get Kathryn Freed on the ballot for NYC Public Advocate.
Not only has she fought hard for all pet owners these past two years,
but it's important that we keep her in office. -Especially if our bill
doesn't pass this year!
Giuliani Vetoed the Ferret Bill
to the Council Members who ABSTAINED or MISSED THE VOTE.
Mayor's Public Hearing is Monday May 21st, at 11am.
to the Council Members who voted NO at the May 9th vote and find out
why some of them voted the way that they did.
NEWS RELEASE: Freed Thanks Full Council For Supporting Bill
• Changed Email link for Mayor.
Thank You letters to Freed and Vallone.
• More information added about the May 9th vote including who
voted yes, and what they said at the vote!
and call the Mayor TODAY and ask him to sign Intro 627-A into law.
• New Form Letters and Postcards for the mayor added
• "Urgent" request for stamps removed -Thank you to all who responded.
We have enough for right now, but we can always use more.
627-A PASSED the Full City Council Vote -but there's still a lot of
work to do. Right now, there aren't enough votes to override a potential
627-A will go to the FULL City Council for the FINAL VOTE on May 9th 2001.
• Posted revised version of the bill (Intro
627-A as opposed to the original version Intro 627)
• Updated flyer.
• Form Letter and Postcard templates added (see link above for May 9th vote)
• Request for STAMPS to help
get the mailing out.
• Minor changes throughout the site with regards to the above.
||• Today The
City Council Health Committee
voted in favor of legalizing ferrets.
• Various changes made throughout the site with regards to today's vote.
• The people to write at this time are your Local
City Council Members.
||• Added info
for those planning to attend the City
Council Health Committee vote on April 19th.
||• Our bill
has been scheduled for a vote before the Health Committee on Thursday
• Updated address for making contributions to Kathryn Freed's Public
• Some small changes in graphics.
||• Slight change
to page 1 of the flyer clarifying
what links on the Council Website will help people find out who their Council
Member is. The 3rd to last line on page 1 of the flyer is the only change.
• New Flyers
Added. Make sure you're distributing the latest copy!
• "Time To Write Your Local Council Member" info added throughout
• December 18th Hearing info
moved to its own page
• "Thank You"s to FACT and Kista Ferret shelters added to our
front page -a long overdue oversight. We apologize!
• Some new directories added (Won't affect you unless your website links
to pages on our website other than our main page.)
for Kathryn Freed on January 8th
• Separated "donation info" for Kathryn Freed's Campaign to its
own page and included more information on how and why your contribution
to her Public Advocate 2001 Campaign may be quadrupled!
||• Added info
about December 18th Public Hearing
• Changed information in "Help
Us Get the Word Out" section to reflect that we are currently out
of wallet-sized cards, but still need names of ferret vets and pet stores
as well as volunteers to keep in touch with them.
outdated material re: Fundraiser for Kathryn Freed
• Added Last Minute Reminders re: Public Hearing on Monday
#3 added: Write to the members of the Health Committee
for Kathryn Freed on December 13th!
• Added "Thank You"s to The Ferret Store, Modern Ferret
Magazine, and our many volunteers.
#2 added: Contact Your Ferret Veterinarians
• Announcement that new "assignments" will be given during the
next two weeks. Check the home page often.
• A NEW Public
Hearing date has been set! Monday December 18,
2000 at 10 am.
• More Hearing related info added, including a phone number to
check for future hearing date changes, a 3 minute time limit for speakers,
and a change to show up approximately 30 minutes before the hearing to speak
(instead of 1 hr.)
The hearing date has been changed!
Added request for stamps.
Added information for people wishing to speak at the hearing (Kathryn
• Added a reminder to bring 10 copies of any material submitted at the hearing
to leave with the Health Committee members. (Kathryn
• Added an additional phone number for one of the Health Committee members.
(Who To Write page)
• The New
York City Council Health Committee Public Hearing on Council Member Kathryn
Freed's Ferret Regulation Bill: Intro 627, is scheduled for Thursday,
December 7, 2000 at 10 am.
Read more about it
Updated Flyer has been added
• A few more Ferret Facts added
• The most important people to write at this time has been changed to YOUR
local council members
• Updated/removed dated info from the site
added for Kathryn Freed's Fundraiser including endorsement from
NYC Friends Of Ferrets
• Message from Kathryn Freed added (re. Public Advocate campaign)
• The following
were added to the Lawsuit section
• Minor changes
made throughout the site with regards to the current status of the lawsuit.
update on today's court proceedings
• Temporarily removed our flyer from the site while we update it yet again!
• Added link to Flyer page for alternate "text only" download
page for Adobe Acrobat Reader.
• Added copy of Order to Show Cause
• Added copy of Temporary Injunction
• Added translation of Temporary Injunction
Mayor Giuliani is no longer running for New York State Senator. Site references
to his running for NY State senate have been removed.
Added temporary injunction info to first/opening paragraph of site.
Judge Braun will be making his decision soon. More info on the Lawsuit
• A page containing the Previous Lawsuit
Updates has been added
Judge Braun grants ferret owners' motion for a temporary injunction. More
info on the Lawsuit page.
Judge Braun is back on the case. More info on the Lawsuit
New pictures added to home page.
• Added two
new pages of guidelines to help people take action!
• Added Free
California's Ferrets site to the Links
• Added directories (if you have a link leading to any page on this site
besides the home page, you might need to change the link address)
• Changed the name of the "What to include in your letters"
page to "Ferret Facts".
• Added a few new graphics.
• Lots of small fixes & shifting information around.
The NYPIRG Council Finder seems to be in good working order, so we've
removed our comment from the Who To
Write page that stated it was "out of service a lot". Thank
you to Steven for pointing this out to us.
Fixed the Council Members email addresses on the Who
To Write page. They should work properly now.
Added new NYCFerrets PO Box address
to various pages.
Added New Judge's Name and mailing info to lawsuit
Preliminary info added re: the Change in Judges for the lawsuit.
Added Plaintiffs' Reply to Lawsuit
Small fixes throughout the site.
• Added link to Lawsuit page for more
info on Judge Braun
• Added link to Kathryn Freed's page for
more info on Kathryn Freed
Kathryn Freed's information regarding donations
to her campaign for NYC Public Advocate.
• Added a simple list of currently banned
animals minus all the legal info.
• Added Melissa Drake's Ferret Toons to the links
Added information about Council Member Kathryn Freed running for Public
Advocate and her fundraising event.
Department of Health's Ferret Ban page added
with a brief history of "what happened".
• Dr. Taylor's letter added
with our comments and numerous links disproving the misinformation contained
within his letter. Dr. Taylor was also known as the NYC DOH "Anonymous
star witness" during the June 1999 hearings.
update added. Order to Show Cause scheduled
for Thursday Dec. 2nd.
• Added Thank You to Gary Kaskel.
Ferrets Across America added to Links page
I Support Ferret Education Award added to Links page
More graphics added
Added the ASPCA and Humane Society Pro-Ferret
testimony from the DOH hearings.
• Added documentation pertaining to the lawsuit
against the DOH and Mayor Giuliani, including the Press Release, Summons,
Complaint, Affidavits, and the Plaintiffs' Memorandum of Law.
• Added The Ferret Store to links page.
• Updated version of our flyer
added. The main difference is the addition of a snail mail address for future
mailings. (If you have email, we prefer you stay on that mailing list. It's
cheaper for us.) There are also some minor updates within the text of the
• Minor text revisions/updates throughout the site.
• Some graphics,
links and other minor changes have been updated throughout the site.
• Various updates throughout the site, primarily related to:
The need for letters to the city council urging them to set a hearing
date for Intro 627 ASAP.
Requests to Help NYCFerrets'
Efforts to get ferret ban information out to NYC ferret owners.
Ferret Shelter link added
||• A few more
New Layout for site
• Some new graphics added
• New Java clock added
• Newer Mailing List Button added
• More information added to the Lawsuit
section. Donations are needed by 10/28/99.
• Added Donations Needed page
• Added info and forms to submit
NYC ferret Vets and Pet Stores for a mailing
• Added the number for Ms. Freed's bill to several pages "Intro
627: The Ferret Regulation Bill".
• Added a little more information about the 9/9/99
Press Conference (w/ permission from the people involved) including
the identity of "the man w/ the purple ferret on his shoulder."
Email with subject button added
Added info about what happened at
the 9/9/99 Press Conference
• Added How A Bill Becomes A Law
||• Added NYC
Press Conference DATE CHANGE to main page.
• Buttons added. The only links that open in new windows now are those
that lead outside the NYCFerrets website. All other documents will now open
in the same window and have a "Home" button added at the bottom of the page.
If you do not see a button at the bottom of the page, hold down the <CNTRL>
key and click the refresh/reload button in your browser to ensure that you're
getting the latest version of that page.
||• Added somewhat
Changed Sam's Ferret Legalisation link to Ferrets In Need
Added NYC Ferret Ban Flyer
in downloadable PDF form
• Fixed link to send email to Kathryn Freed (Thank you Barb for pointing
out the broken link!)
9/8/99 Press Conference Announcement
• Proposed Ferret Regulation Bill added. Scheduled for introduction to NYC Council on 9/9/99
• Lawsuit info added
• Updates page added
• What to Include in Your Letters moved off the first page to its
own separate page.
• Link added to Sam's Ferret Legalisation page
House link added
of changes to the site that we didn't document! :)
Ferrets web site opens!
are made illegal in New York City